Richmond Hill, GA asked in Contracts, Family Law, Intellectual Property and Probate for Georgia

Q: Can I sue my step father for pain and suffering, for him throwing away/selling my deceased mothers belongings?

My mother recently passed away, in her Will it states that my older sister, older brother and myself have rights to her belongings she's left behind. My step parent has took it upon himself to throw out her items left to me and my siblings. He's not listed in her last will and Testament to have anything. But he's thrown away childhood memories such as home movies and pictures. I'm just curious if I could sue for pain and suffering or something of the sort.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You cannot sue for pain and suffering. You can sue for value of the property as well as suing him for interfering with the administration of an estate as an Executor de son Tort.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.