Florissant, MO asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Banking for Missouri

Q: How can I file a suit against a Mortgage Co for overpayment and would I need a Lawyer to do so?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your question is not one that can be meaningfully answered in a couple of sentences. It's like asking, "How do I build a house?" or "How do I perform an appendectomy?"

The short answer to your question is that you file a petition in an appropriate court asserting a proper cause of action, assuming you haven't entered into a binding arbitration agreement covering your situation. But that answer doesn't do you much good.

While you have the right to file a lawsuit without an attorney, you are unlikely to prevail against a mortgage company by filing pro se.

If enough money is at stake, schedule an appointment with a local attorney, bring your relevant documents, and obtain informed legal advice. Best wishes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.