Anchorage, AK asked in Libel & Slander and Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Recording private conversation and who must I allow in my home.

I knew daughter's unemployed boyfriend would be a problem so I made a very simple 1 page agreement with her that she only, could live in my Seattle condo, and pay just half the normal rent. When I would come from out of state to work on condo as planned, I was never allowed in because boy who was trashing my home, not on lease, and paid no rent, was always there, even though my daughter was at work. I said nothing, to keep peace with daughter, until 8 months/8 trips of wasted time and money lost when cant do my work, I walk in, and he immediately demanded that I leave my condo because I was breaking the law. Finally I gathered courage and said Im not leaving, you are. Did I have a right to throw him out? I found out later he secretly recorded me, leaving out his confrontation with me when I walked in the door. For the sake of relationship with my daughter I need to know who was breaking the law and why. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Even if your daughter is breaching your contract by allowing others to live there, there is legal process for evictions that must be followed. A landlord cannot enter a unit at will. As for being recorded in someone's home, see:

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.