Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Steve Dashiak
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Washington on
Q: How to you respond to a summons when there is no case number on it and it was not even served correctly?

I was served papers at an address that I have not lived at for 4 years and I just by chance was given them by the current tenant. There is no case number on the papers and the debt has already been paid. How do I respond to these papers with no case number?

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Oct 25, 2021

This is a great question.

In short: you should reach out to the attorney whose address is noted in the paperwork, and send them proof the debt is paid. If it is, that will be the end of it. If the debt isn't actually paid, you should draft and file an answer to the complaint. There are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Washington on
Q: When should I hire an attorney to appeal a permanent partial disability claim?

Was awarded workers comp for acute leukemia caused by chemicals. Had several permanent physical changes (kidney issues, permanent ostomy, ostopenia, heart issues, sterile) due to extensive treatment and bad reactions to treatment. Workers comp only awarded PPD for one of the physical changes... Read more »

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Aug 18, 2021

I say this as someone who is not a workers comp attorney: Please, never go through a WA workers compensation claim without an attorney again. It's possible you've left an enormous amount of money on the table. People get fee sensitive when thinking about workers comp attorneys, knowing... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Tax Law for Washington on
Q: As the title holder am I held liable for what the registered drives does? Accidents? Death?

My brother wants to transfer multiple vehicle titles into my name to avoid them being seized for child support payments.

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Jul 21, 2021

A better question would be "am I committing fraud if assets are transferred in my name solely for avoiding creditor payments". The answer would be YES.

There's something called the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act. It's called the Uniform Voidable Transfer Act in...
Read more »

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Washington on
Q: I need advice on starting negotiations for my pain and suffering settlement because of a car accident.

Arbitration determined the other party was 100% at fault. dash cam footage shows the driver turned sideways on the freeway right in front of us. My husband was driving, I was in the front passenger seat and our 13 month old daughter was in the back in her carseat. We all went to the ER, but not via... Read more »

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Jul 21, 2021

There are a lot of layers to what you just described. You're basically asking us to help you screw up your case. Unfortunately, you have already put a dent in your case's value. If you have an attorney take over, they could probably smooth that out. But, what you're proposing would... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Washington on
Q: Insurance doesn’t cover auto loan in settlement of accident. No gap insurance. Can i sue the other party for remainder?

I’m not at fault, other party is at fault. Can i take other party to small claims for the remaining value of my auto loan?

I owe $29k on loan, settlement is $21k. Can i sue for remaining $8k?

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Mar 11, 2021

In terms of a total loss vehicle settlement, you are entitled up to the fair market value of your vehicle. You're not entitled to anything more than that - meaning you are hosed if you didn't buy gap insurance. It's a hard lesson. It's possible the same dealer will let you roll... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Washington on
Q: I was in a car accident in my mother's car. I was not injured my girlfriend is a little sore and banged up.

I'm just wondering if I should obtain a legal services

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Mar 9, 2021

More information would be needed to fully answer this.

The most critical question here is: were you at fault for the accident, or was someone else?

Other critical questions include:

- does the at-fault party have insurance

- do you have liability insurance...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Washington on
Q: My brother in law got ran over what are his options? He developed health problems that doctors can't diagnose

The responsible driver ran him over and hit multiple cars. We are not sure what types of compensation he is eligible for, and we do not know if a DUI test was performed on the responsible driver. The responsible driver only has liability insurance. What type of lawyer should he get?

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Feb 11, 2021

There's a lot to unpack here. You want to call a personal injury attorney. You'll want to see what insurance policies are out there to pay for all of this. It's worth your time to give a personal injury attorney a call.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Washington on
Q: i worked at glass company as a machine operator got sick from the chemical being used in the metal window

i was hospitalized for ten days with a breathing problem in my lungs this was over 10 yrs ago which has been a problem for me

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Feb 11, 2021

It sounds like you may have an occupational disease. Unless some 3rd party (read: not your employer) was responsible for your condition, you are likely limited to a workers' compensation claim. You don't state whether you still work there or not. The deadline for occupational diseases is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Car Accidents and Collections for Washington on
Q: My rental car was stolen while I had the keys on me and now I'm being asked to pay for the vehicle. Is that right?

I was originally told I wouldnt be held responsible since I was in possession of the keys

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Jan 6, 2021

I'm sorry that happened to you. The process here will be dictated by the contract with the rental car company. Assuming you have insurance, the worst case scenario is you've got to pay the deductible for your own insurance company.

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability for Washington on
Q: knee replacement has come loose needs replacement has never been right from the start now what?.

problems since 2013 at least 4 clean out surgeries and pain since it was put in

Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak answered on Dec 28, 2020

I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. You're going to need to know the make and model of the knee replacement before calling an attorney. There are many lawsuits filed for medical devices such as this. They are contested until the very end, but you may very well have a claim.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.