Bossier City, LA asked in Real Estate Law, Family Law and Foreclosure for Louisiana

Q: My mom died when I was young and my uncle is trying to sell the house I used to live in? Is that legal and isit my house

I used to live with my mom (parents never married) and my mom died when I was 10. The house I used to live in was just me and my mom and I think my late grandfather MAY have been Co owner. I moved in with my dad till the age of 18. My uncle (grandfather's 1st wife's son), moved into the house while everything was going on with my mother's death a few years ago. He has been living there since 2011, from my knowledge and I recently looked up the house on different real estate website and I see he was trying g to sell the house after remodeling it. I'm not close to that side of the family so I had no idea. Anyways he'said trying to sell it, if it's not already sold, and he hasn't talked to me about it. I read online that since my mother's passing that the house should belong to me, being an only child with a single mother, and I want to know if the house is really supposed to be mine and if so, is what he is doing legal? Can I get my home back and should I take this to court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Call or go to the mortgage and conveyance office for the parish in which the house was located and find out who does own it. If your Mom or grandfather was an owner, then you need to hire a succession attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.