Louisiana Foreclosure Questions & Answers

Q: My mom died when I was young and my uncle is trying to sell the house I used to live in? Is that legal and isit my house

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Family Law and Foreclosure for Louisiana on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
Ellen Cronin Badeaux's answer
Call or go to the mortgage and conveyance office for the parish in which the house was located and find out who does own it. If your Mom or grandfather was an owner, then you need to hire a succession attorney.

Q: Can a lawyer file a mortgage modification with missing documents to obtain a executor process to seiz property

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Foreclosure and Legal Malpractice for Louisiana on
Answered on Jun 8, 2018
Douglas Lee Bryan's answer
If the bank is attempting to foreclose on your house, you need to get an attorney as soon as possible. Let the lawyer know that what the bank has filed is not a complete copy of the agreement, and they will address that issue for you. if you can't afford an attorney, contact your local Legal Services office.

Q: what are the laws on fileing bankrupcy after foreclosure pprocedures have started

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Bankruptcy for Louisiana on
Answered on Aug 19, 2016
Robert Martin Louque Jr's answer
You must file your bankruptcy before the sheriff's sale if you are trying to save your home. Louisiana does not really have a right of redemption once the house is sold at sheriff's sale (it exists but only if the bank is the purchaser and there are some unusual additional circumstances). If you looking to save your, a Chapter 13 is your best option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.