Sanford, NC asked in Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Child Support and FoodStamps/EBT

Girlfriend and I have been together and lived together for 5 years. Not married. We had a child two years ago. We agreed that after birth she would go back to work and I would stay home to care for our child (to save from day-care expenses.) If she were to apply for FoodStamps/EBT would the state come after me for Child Support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Possibly but so what? If you aren't working, your obligation would likely be $50 or so a month and that would go to your girlfriend that you live with so you'd essentially be getting the money back if they even bothered to do it that way. Theoretically, you could use the same $50 bucks she gets to make the next months payment and it'd be a wash after the first month. The only way it would matter to you is if you were not living with your girlfriend but then you wouldn't have a choice about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.