Fayetteville, NC asked in Divorce, Family Law and Immigration Law for South Carolina

Q: If I divorce my wife and she then leaves the country to live in Kenya, how can I get my divorce finalized?

Hi, I am divorcing my wife after being married 30 days. She is from Kenya and entered the US on a K-1 visa. If she leaves the US, she will not be able to re-enter. My question is, which type of divorce (fault or non-fault) would be best in this scenario, where she will not be able to appear at a final divorce hearing? I can likely get her to sign divorce papers before she leaves. How will I be able to finalize the divorce if she is not able to come back to the US? I'm concerned that once she leaves I'll be unable to finalize our divorce and she will possibly come after me years from now for money etc...

1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: It's a question for a family lawyer. I believe a family lawyer can advise you how you can resolve this issue. PLEASE don't try to handle this by yourself , or your fears may be justified.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.