Desert Hot Springs, CA asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My family rented a home from who we thought was the owner but she lost house in foreclosure

We learned that the house was in contract phase with a new individual. Now the sale is final and that woman is demanding $ but refuses to turn water on which was part of our initial lease with the initial woman we rented from. What are our options ??

2 Lawyer Answers

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Assuming you have already sent her a letter telling her to turn the water and she has refused. Call the City inspectors and tell them to cite her for depriving you of water and sewage. Once the city inspects your house and cites her, talk to a Tenant lawyer to advise your further. Best of luck:

Thomas A. Grossman

  • Palm Springs, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I don't understand the question. If the house was sold to another person, than that person owns the house (i.e. has title to the house). Under those circumstances, I don't think you owe anyone any money, but I do think at some point the new owner will try to evict you from the house. I would need to see various documents on how this all went down to better advise you.

Tom Grossman

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.