Middletown, NY asked in Education Law for New York

Q: is it possible for say a judge to force someone who is 17 years old to go to school

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: See: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/rules-for-students/attendance

Also see: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/pps/educationalneglect/

"Per Part One of Article 65 of the New York State Education Law, Section 3205(1)(c), the following age requirements apply:

A child must attend full time instruction from the first day school is in session in September if he/she turns six years old on or before the first day of December of that school year. Please note: The school year begins on July 1st and runs through June 30th.

A child who becomes six years old after the first of December must attend full time instruction from the first day school is in session in the following September.

A child must attend full time instruction until the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes 16 years of age. New York State Education Law, §3205(3), provides that the board of education in a school district may require minors from 16 to 17 years of age, who are not employed, to attend full time day instruction until the last day of the session in the school year in which the student becomes 17 years old.

A child who has completed a four year high-school course of study is not required to attend school regardless of age.

A child who has applied and is eligible for a full-time employment certificate may be permitted to attend school part-time not less than 20 hours per week."

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.