Fredericksburg, VA asked in Bankruptcy for Virginia

Q: I have a judgement from July 2011 and was granted a discharge in December 2011. How do I get the judgement off my file?

The judgement is attached to my credit report. I am trying to figure out how to get it off.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Robert R Weed

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Sorry I don't know if the problem is that the judgment shows on your credit report, or that the judgment is attached to real estate you owned in July 2011 that you still own.

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Take a copy of the s hedules where it was listed and a copy of your discharge to whomever is reporting the judgment.

James H. Wilson Jr.

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Under Virginia Code Section 8.01-453, the clerk of the court may enter a satisfaction upon presentation of a certificate or at the direction of the creditor's attorney. Under Virginia Code Section 8.01-455, a judgment debtor can move the court to mark a judgment as satisfied if it has been paid or discharged and the costs can be allocated to the judgment creditor who failed to direct the satisfaction of the judgment.

As my esteemed colleague Mr. Weed notes, bankruptcy may discharge the personal obligation on a judgment, but does not necessarily affect the lien that might have been acquired by docketing the judgment in land records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.