San Antonio, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: What happens when child must change school because of bully problem?

My son was being bullied, so we agreed to move him to school by dad's. According to school rules, you must live in that area. Since then we have reversed the visitation, so he mainly lives with dad and I get the weekend and one day a week, we also still trade holidays. My son is Autistic and has ADHD. We have joint custody, but I am custodial parent. Dad now wants child support to change, in his favor, and would prefer we come to an agreement instead of fighting about it and spending money on lawyers. My son starts high school next year and he wants to go to school over there, he will not even discuss magnet or charter schools. His dad is a bit controlling and I wonder if he is influencing the decision. My son is doing well and I am more concerned with his happiness than money, but I don't know what the law is concerning these things.

1 Lawyer Answer

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Since your son is in high school then child support obligation is not that for that many years then my practical suggestion is that you continue to work together for the benefit of your son. If there becomes an issue or disagreement then of course consult legal counsel. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.