Kalamazoo, MI asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Michigan

Q: I'm in the process of going to the Supreme Court over damages arising of legal malpractice the amount of my lawsuit I ne

Need to file superintending control I have all my documentation my investigative report against the attorney everything is done they said if all possible get help with citation with legal authority but I'm trying to get legal counsel as soon as possible if not I need to get this sent off they gave me a hundred eighty two days of February 2018 so if you can't appreciate it. Take me back soon as possible. And I prefer the tourney to be far away from Kalamazoo as possible

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You may be conflating the grievance process with a legal malpractice claim; they are two distinct things with completely different possible outcomes. If you are asking the Supreme Court for superintending control, that implies that you've filed a grievance with the Attorney Grievance Commission, which handles attorney disciple for ethical violations. I assume that you did not agree with that body's response.

A legal malpractice claim is different. It is filed in a circuit court - not with the grievance commission - and addresses malpractice claims on the merits (e.g. did you lose a case because of something your attorney did or did not do). Generally with a malpractice claim, you would be looking for monetary damages. Having the Supreme Court grant superintending control is not the same as prosecuting a successful malpractice claim. And if you are looking for a malpractice claim, you most definitely need an attorney, who would most likely need time to pour over the entire file before committing to taking your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.