Spring Lake, NC asked in Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: What are my chances of getting a fair price for child support if I take my Daughters mom to court?

My ex has my daughter during the WORK week. We meet at my moms to drop my daughter.every weekend my daughter is at one of her grandparent houses. I pay my ex’s phone bill, $350 a month in child support. I have my daughter under my medical&dental, I buy all the school clothes& anything else extra & my family always buys and watches her. My ex always has new clothed &uses the money to finance a lifestyle she can’t afford and my daughter doesn’t even have nice shoes unless I buy them. She expects my child support to help maintain her household even though it’s a house she can’t afford with her own check. She moved out of a cheaper place to live up to this “lifestyle” is there anything I can do? If you count the hours during a work week it’s not that Kong &then she drops my daughter off to anyone in the families. I’m military and make more than she does but I want my money to go directly to my child only

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: North Carolina uses child support Guidelines to determine the right amount. The Guideline formula uses each parent’s income, the custody schedule based on the number of overnights, and certain child-related costs. Life style is irrelevant.

You can argue that the expenses that you are already paying are child support. You cannot control how the other parent spends the money. If the other parent spends money on food, a car, any living expenses used by the child, then the child support is going to the child. If you think the guideline amount is unfair, then you need to hire an experienced local family law attorney to make that argument, because it's complicated and rarely successful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.