Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law and Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: Can my friend stepmother press personal property damage charges on me? I was not the driver but the vehicle is mine.

My friend was the driver and hit her stepmother vehicle. The front fender has a minor dent but major scratches. I offered to pay for the damages because it was my vehicle even though I was not driving, my close friend was. Since I work part time and only make about 500.00 take home weekly I asked to make $400.00 payment installments until the amount of $1500.00 from the provided car estimate invoice was paid off. The father agreed but 19 days later the stepmother declined because it is her car and said I have 24 hours to come up with the remaining $1100.00 or she will press charges against me. The accident happened on 12/08/18 and I was contacted by the stepmother today 12/27/18 at 7:58pm. There was no police report filed regarding the accident because the father did not want to get the police involved for minor damage and because I was not driving. Is it true she can press charges against me or is she just trying to use a scare tactic. Please help, I really need legal advice!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Charles Candiano

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I have no idea what you are asking. "Press charges" is a silly term that usually refers to someone to asking the State's Attorney to file minor criminal charges against someone. If that is what you mean, I assume you did not have insurance on the car and the stepmother wants to charge her daughter with Driving Without Insurance. You cannot be charged because you were not driving.

That said, you and your friend are BOTH liable for the damage. However, seeking criminal charges against her step-daughter is NOT going to get her car fixed.

William Wolf

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you get arrested, make no statement to the police other than your name.

Tell them in response to every question past your name that you want invoke your right to remain silent and you want to have your lawyer present during any police questioning.

If you feel like you need to hire a criminal defense lawyer, many offer free initial consultations so a fee can be set.

Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.