Asked in Adoption and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Can my husband adopt my son if his biological father does nothing for him?

My sons biological father is court ordered to pay $333 child support but he's over $11,000 behind. I've asked him to call and talk to my son. I've even asked him to buy birthday, and Christmas gifts but never does. I had to have 3 delinquency letters sent out to him do to no child support payment. He has cut off all communication with me. My husband is willing to adopt. My son will be five in 18days and my husband is the only father that he knows.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Failure to support or visit during a continuance six month period can be grounds to terminate parental rights. The biological father, however, can voluntarily relinquish his parental rights and consent to an adoption. I suggest you get a consultation with a lawyer your area since you will need a lawyer's help to accomplish either option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.