Pahrump, NV asked in Criminal Law for Nevada

Q: can a person who was convicted of a felony class ( e ) in 1978 get his record cleaned.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Not sure about "cleaned," but technically you can have your record "sealed" in Nevada for a Category E felony after two years from the date of your release from custody or release from parole/probation whichever occurs later. See NRS 179.245(1)(c). "A category E felony after 2 years from the date of release from actual custody or discharge from parole or probation, whichever occurs later." For example, if you were place on probation for three years from a category E felony (likely scenario), and you were discharged on January 1, 2019, then you would be eligible for sealing on or after January 1, 2021.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.