Oceanside, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Child abandonment or child neglect? Is the situation grounds for filing a case against the parents?

When the baby was born, CPS was called in because of the mother's (narcotic) history and baby's lab results but the case was closed. Now, both parents of the child (mother "was" drug dependent but "claimed" rehab and the father is unemployed with presumed gambling addiction) are unfit and are unable to provide support for the baby except for basic responsibilities. The grandparents mainly provide care and needs for the child (Food, diapers, clothes, etc.). For 8 months, both parents have failed to provide identification for the child (birth certificate) and often times leave the child for a week or two without notice thus deliberately sabotaging job security of the ones left to care. Looking to get advice if there is a case involved and if it can be filed anonymously.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can call CPS and the police to report child abuse/ neglect. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.