Fayetteville, NC asked in Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My daughter died in Sept. Of 2006. At that time they said I was paying back child support. After her death; they took

About 7k dollars from me. Before she passed she didn't receive the back payments. Where did my money go??New York state child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You might want to ask your question in the forum for New York. But in North Carolina, your back child support was owed to the person who had custody of your daughter. Back child support is the money that you owed to that person before your child died. Think of it as the person who had custody of your daughter having loaned you that money and you were paying that loan back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.