Seattle, WA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Hi there, my daughter lives in PR. Is there something I can pursue or file that could postpone her return for 6mos?

As in, I want to file where I live after making the case for residency for a fair review of custody (and avoid alienation). Also some explanation of the power of asume would be helpful too.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Happy holidays and thank you for using JUSTIA. You can file for joint custody or full custody. Since your daughter lives in Puerto Rico you should verify if any custody ruling has been set in Puerto Rico. If not, then you can file in your home state. As for ASUME this is a child support agency that receives the child support payments. If they are involved in your case then a custody ruling has been set and the jurisdiction for any claim of custody or child support is in Puerto Rico. ASUME has the same powers as does any Child Welfare office in the states. They do report delinquent accounts to the IRS and state authorities. ASUME is the child welfare office in Puerto Rico. They have exclusive jurisdiction on child support issues and set the child support amount in cases that involve interstate parental rights thus they are the exclusive authority in your case since one parent is in Puerto Rico and you are in the states. Hope this answers your questions and eliminates your doubts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.