Brooklyn, NY asked in Consumer Law and Collections for New York

Q: regarding student loan

Higher education have charged me with a student loan that i did not apply for, a few years ago i lost my wallet and my documents were never recovered, my information were being used to gain credit cards and everything else. last year higher education seized my taxes, after that i requested documents regarding the loan, they did send documents including them a copy of my original social security card, they now want me to pay an extra $10k, i tried to investigate by going to the school it states that the school has been closed since 2001 for violation of the states, in this position what are my options, can any one please help? thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Michael David Siegel

  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you have proof you lost your wallet, you can bring a claim. Furthermore, loans from for profit schools that closed have recently been forgiven. Yours might be one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.