Austin, TX asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: when the impose the $$ of child support my ex didnt work and she started working a few months after, how i change it ?

I have 2 children, one is 21 attending college in PR and a 17 year that lives with me. When I got divorced the judge impose certain amount for child support for my older son and i dont received anything from her for my youngest son because she was not working when we got divorce and they imposed the child support. A few months after she started working and she never reported that she was working and its been a few years. What i need to do in order to get the child support adjusted?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte

  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Happy holidays and thank you for using JUSTIA. You will need to file a petition to eliminate child support for the eldest since he is the one whom needs to claim for support from both parents. The mother has no right to claim on his behalf. The second thing you need to do is to file a petition for child support against the mothe on behalf of your youngest son stating that mother has income and capacity to pay child support in the childs favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.