Arlington, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: My wife has had a green card for 2 years. She has submitted the paperwork for her 10-year green card. I work for the

US government and may be transferred to Europe. Will this affect her immigration?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC

A: Interesting. I've never come across this. Someone else may, and will answer directly.

But to answer: Yes, it will affect the processing. As a protective measure, I think you would want to file an I-131 and ask for a Re-Entry Permit, which will protect your wife for up to 2 years during processing. You should also either: (a) get an InfoPass appointment at your local field office (Alex/Arl/DC?) or (b) better yet, make an appointment for a consultation with an immigration lawyer. The Va. bar association will have a lawyer referral service, or you can go to the AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Ass'n) website at and find a member near you.

Jacob N Tingen agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.