Forest City, NC asked in Child Support for North Carolina

Q: If Parental Rights are surrendered?

My step-son was court ordered through DSS of Rutherford County, North Carolina to pay child support on his 4 children. Me and my wife have Guardianship over two of the grandchildren, ages 11 and 9, until they are 18. If he relinquishes parental rights is he still obligated to pay child support or can it stop? He has harassed, cursed and belittled his mother, my wife every since DSS court ordered him to pay child support. If he signs over his rights to his children can this torture from him stop? He will not work consistently and tries everything he can to skip around where they won't be able to trace his steps. He resides in Chesnee South Carolina.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A parent cannot surrender their own parental rights. If they could every parent who didn't want to pay child support and wasn't allowed to see their children would do so, and the government would have to support those children. If you have grounds under North Carolina law to terminate his parental rights then you can hire a lawyer and file the appropriate paperwork and have a hearing. The statute, which you can Google, is NCGS 7B-1111. But it also sounds like you would qualify for a restraining order. Maybe not a domestic violence restraining order but that is not the only kind of restraining order. You should talk to a local attorney who is experienced in family law, and has experience with harassment cases. If his rights are terminated then he will not have an ongoing duty to support his kids but he would still owe any arrearage. If any of the custodial adults are receiving public assistance, it may be harder to get the court to terminate his parental rights because that shifts the financial burden on the government instead of him. But an experienced local attorney can help you navigate through the choices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.