Sicklerville, NJ asked in Workers' Compensation for Pennsylvania

Q: Can the insurance company schedule an IME with a dr that is I’ve 90 minutes from my home?

It’s a PA claim. I live 10 minutes from Philadelphia.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Glenn Neiman

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Warminster, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The scheduling of an IME is basically whatever a judge would find reasonable. Often, the judges give great latitude to the insurance companies on this, but every situation is different. This would vary depending on the type of injury, where you live and where they want you seen. Talk to an attorney certified as a specialist in workers' compensation law, whether my firm or another of the fine attorneys on this board. Good luck!

Alexander Palutis and Timothy Belt agree with this answer

Alexander Palutis

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, the insurance company can schedule this exam that far away from your home. They must, however, provide transportation to and from the IME. If this presents a hardship, you can request the insurance company schedule an IME closure to your home. But, in all likelihood, you should contact a Board Certified Pa Workers’ Compensation Attorney in your area for assistance in making such a request. There are many factors that need to be considered with the scheduling of an IME.

As such, a consult with an Attorney is recommended. Best of Luck.

Timothy Belt agrees with this answer

Peter Munsing

  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you have a lawyer review it with them; if not contact a member of the Pa. Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

90 minutes is approaching the boundary though it depends where you are--if there are a lot of doctors in your area, they have a weaker argument. Get a consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.