Sylva, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My ex died owing over 25,000 in child support. My son is now 18. He died with nothing, will SSA pay benefits?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sara W. Harrington
Sara W. Harrington
  • Carrboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: As you know, once a supporting parent has died, future support payments die with him.

However, his estate will owe the past-due amount. Once his estate has been opened for probate you or even state child support enforcement agency may file a claim against his estate with the probate court for back child support. The estate will generally have to pay the child support obligation before assets are disbursed to those named in his will.

I understand that you say he owned nothing, but if assets are found and there is no executor, your son can open the estate. If no one opens an estate for your ex within 60 days of his death, you or any other interested party could open the estate.

Because your son is over 18, he would need to be a student or have a disability in order to qualify for Social Security death benefit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.