Aurora, OH asked in Insurance Defense for Ohio

Q: I co-signed for my 21 year old daughter's car and she keeps missing payments. I am the main borrower on the loan.

She moved out and didn't tell us where she was going and she changed her phone number. She has cut off our entire extended family. The car is titled in her name. My question is whether we can cancel her car insurance (our policy) without my husband and I facing legal issues if she wrecks her car again. I want the loan company to find and repossess the car. Thank you for your guidance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You don’t have to provide her with insurance but just not paying for it knowing she’s going to drive isn’t the best plan. First, it won’t get you off the hook for the loan. Second, it won’t cause the financing company to repossess the car. Third, if she wrecks without insurance, she could wind up so deep debt that she will never be able to be fully independent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.