Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Insurance Defense Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: I co-signed for my 21 year old daughter's car and she keeps missing payments. I am the main borrower on the loan.

She moved out and didn't tell us where she was going and she changed her phone number. She has cut off our entire extended family. The car is titled in her name. My question is whether we can cancel her car insurance (our policy) without my husband and I facing legal issues if she wrecks her car... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Jan 13, 2019

You don’t have to provide her with insurance but just not paying for it knowing she’s going to drive isn’t the best plan. First, it won’t get you off the hook for the loan. Second, it won’t cause the financing company to repossess the car. Third, if she wrecks without insurance, she could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: What are the consequences of getting in an accident without insurance?

My mom is 70 years old and had let her insurance lapse (I had no idea it had). Apparently it has been a few months. I know that it is illegal to drive without insurance. This had also happened about 7 years ago too. I thought that she was on the straight and narrow and was keeping her insurance... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 4, 2018

No jail. I'm assuming you had an accident. The other person or their insurance will ask for her insurance. If she doesn't have any they'll ask her to pay. It may be to her advantage NOT TO MAKE ANY AGREEMENT TO DO SO because she may be "judgement proof." It really makes sense to discuss these... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: So a girl ran through a red light and hit me, she lied and said she didn't. She had suspended licence.

She lied and we have same insurance and now they are talking about not covering damages. When cops got there she left too and they had to loom for her.

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 10, 2018

See if there is a camera at the intersection or any business has a camera that captures the intersection. It's where the experession "he said she said" comes from.

But if you weren't at fault, and have injuries, contact a member of the Ohio Assn for Justice--they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: Borrowed a family members car was involved in a car accident. Found out the family member did not have car insurance

I borrowed car for 1 day while car was in shop to get to work. I found out after I was in car accident due to black ice hit a parked car On the street who was parked by the curb. that the car I borrowed from a family member did not have insurance. The family member has told me they did have... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 17, 2018

But you carried insruance that covered you for liability so you should be OK. If you want, get a consult from an attorney who handles citations. Bring proof that you had coverage through your company at the time of the wreck. Notify your company.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: Mom got DUI in truck that is in my name, and had no insurance on it which I thought she did. Will I get in trouble?

I did not know she was drinking and driving, also didn't know she never had insurance on it.

Douglas A. Ball answered on Nov 20, 2017

You need to contact an attorney in the area where the alleged charges were brought as soon as possible, if you have not done so already. The State has several options available to them on how to proceed, and you need an attorney versed in the law to discuss your options with you. This could be a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense, Intellectual Property and Consumer Law for Ohio on

Q: My insurance policy ended on 9th. Later on in the day when I realized I purchased different insurance from geico online

45 mins. Later husband got off work and rear ended someone and now both insurances refuse to cover. Geico says there was 5 min. Difference in when I started which is not true. When I finished purchasing it said I was covered. When husband called and needed proof of insurance for cop I called geico... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Sep 13, 2017

You need to obtain the electronic mail to and from Gieco to determine whether policy was in effect. In addition, your previous insurance company may have continued the policy of insurance for a short period of time after the cancellation for non-payment.

If you cannot obtain the email...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: Can I be held liable for my 18 year olds auto accident, car and insurance in his name?

He lives at home and goes to school

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 28, 2017

Generally you aren't responsible for your kids in that regard unless the car was in your name and you lacked adequate coverage. If it's his name and lacked adequate coverage he might be able to get additional coverage on yours but that's not tooo likely the way policies are written now.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: I bought a car for someone . They got in a car accident. They have no insurance.Is it my fault and if so what can happen

Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 5, 2016

Assuming they are over 18, they are responsible for their wrecks. Question is whose name is it in and if there is insurance,and whose fault the wreck was. If you are on the car as owner then if they were a known risk you may have some exposure not for causing the crash but for giving a car to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Defense for Ohio on

Q: Rear-ended someone after passing a green light (5-10mph). What are my rights if I was break-checked...

Getting off the highway after light just turned green, she hit her breaks to turn left onto the bridge off the exit inner lane, accelerated, I start to accelerate, she slams on her breaks. I breaked, but not fast enough because I was just getting around the turn & around a line of stopped traffic... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 19, 2015

If you rear-ended someone, you just-about certainly were following too closely. You should ALWAYS leave enough room between you and the car in front of you, so as to guard against EXACTLY this sort of thing happening. So no, I don't think you have a defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.