Palm Coast, FL asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Florida

Q: Tax fraud was exposed during child support trial, is a judge likely to report it?

During my recent child support trial, it was discovered that my self employed ex husband made our minor son a business partner in his LLC. He stated under oath that he doesn’t disperse the funds that is filed with the IRS to our son. Essentially, he tells the IRS my son is getting a portion of buisness income but yet isn’t really giving it to him. He also stated that my son is unaware of this doing. He has no clue that he’s a partner in his dads buisness. My ex did this to avoid paying higher taxes as a sole proprietor. Hasn’t a criminal act been done here such as fraud? Also, what effect did this exposure have on his credibility regarding his finances with the judge? He had been less than forthcoming with information and documents. Thank you for any input. I feel as though my son is a victim here and who knows that the tax implications are. His dad has been doing this for years. I have all the proof. Thanks for any input.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Linda Simmons Campbell

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: This is a very complex issue that cannot be fully addressed in this format. Call a good tax attorney directly. Most of us offer a free consultation.

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: To answer your question, it is unlikely, although not impossible, that the judge will notify the IRS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.