Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can she put me on child support? Do i have any legal obligation to the child?

I just found out i have a 5 year old daughter, her mother is married and has two older children with her husband. her husband is listed as father on the girls birth certificate and he has raised her since she was born. we have not taken a dna test yet but her mother claims she is 100% sure she is mine.

2 Lawyer Answers

Victoria Collins

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If her husband had his name placed on the child’s birth certificate and he resided with the child the first two years of child’s life, he is the presumed father, but this can be rebutted through a paternity suit. So if she files a paternity suit then the court is likely to order a dna test to make sure you are the father. If you are in fact the father you can voluntarily terminate your parental rights.

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Please get an attorney as soon as possible to ascertain your legal obligations and duties. You can be responsible for supporting the child if in fact it is your child. You have a right to a DNA test do it. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.