Asked in Banking and Divorce for Texas

Q: is There any type of legal document or court order to make my wife or Chase Bank transfer house money to my account

My wife and I recently sold our FW house. Because of my credit, my name was not on house purchase. Tax’s, anything. When we sold realtor had me sign and initial all selling paperwork, knowing I wasn’t even list on home.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I’ll assume the home was purchased after marriage. In that case it is community property regardless of whether your name is on the loan. If you are now pursuing a divorce you can ask that these funds not be used until everything is sorted out. Let us know if you need our help. 888/343-4529 or 888/3434LAW.

Victoria Collins agrees with this answer

Victoria Collins

  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I agree with Ms. Thornton’s answer. Whether or not your name is on the mortgage is irrelevant. What matters is whether the house was purchased before marriage or during the marriage. If it was purchased during the marriage, the house is presumed community property. I recommend consultation with a family lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.