Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Texas Banking Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Texas on

Q: Someone paid my credit card bill. And then demanded that I get steam cards and pay him back. Can I get in trouble?

I called the bank to have the payment sent back but he is saying that he can have me arrested unless I pay him back.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 17, 2019

This makes no sense; you will have to add lots of facts before lawyers can understand you question.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Copyright, Criminal Law and Banking for Texas on

Q: id="i.desc.309958765" 5/28/17

This I.D. is linked to a banking incident that occurred the same day my Wolfram Alpha files vanished from my iCloud email.


Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 10, 2019

And your point is....what?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Texas on

Q: How much time will I be making in jail for forgery financial instrument? My bond is 30,000 but I have no money to pay.

Gary D. Peak answered on May 8, 2019

It depends on whether you are guilty or innocent. Whether you want to take a plea or go to trial. And whether you have a good attorney. It also depends on what kind of criminal history you have, if any. If you can't afford an attorney then you can request a court appointed. But, if I were you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and Social Security for Texas on

Q: PayPal card/account stolen and charged someone's Social security debit card. What will happen legally?

My friend's PayPal debit card was stolen and her account hacked. She's is being blamed for charging this lady's card by social security. The lady that has her card used gets disability. My friend didn't do it but has no way to prove she didn't do it. They said they are putting a warrant out for... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 28, 2019

Fortunately, she doesn't have to PROVE it wasn't her. The prosecutor has the burden to prove it WAS her. Your friend needs reasonable doubt that it could have been someone else... that she too was a victim of identity theft. Unfortunately, she is starting from a difficult position if she didn't... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Texas on

Q: What does all of this mean I got the (Medal of Honor) by Harris originals

Along with that is several degrees awarded to me in addition to a diamond necklace an ear rings.. When I looked up what it all meant I was directed to an attorney

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 15, 2019

Although your question does not contain enough factual information to allow an online lawyer here on Justia to answer, it appears to me that you may have been bilked out of whatever amount of money you paid for this "honor."

S--if you were "directed to an attorney" when trying to find out...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and Collections for Texas on

Q: I rcvd a letter from DA for hot chk saying I had 10 days to pay in full. I don’t have that cash, would they accept arr.?

I wrote an NSF chk for over $1500 a couple months ago and deposited in another of my bank accounts, thinking one bank would approve the overdraft. The chk cleared, I used the funds and then it bounced. I had the intention to pay but couldn’t receive the funds I was expecting. So I tried to make a... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

Intentionally writing a worthless check in the amount you did is a felony in most if not all states in America. Since you did not accept the bank's offer to allow partial payments toward resolving the issue, the bank pressing the charges does not have to do anything more.

Advice: Your full...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Texas on

Q: Can bank put ex on "single mother" program that changes mortgage terms without me and yet still report to my credit?

Ex wife got house in divorce and several years ago she told me she was put on a "single parent" program that lowered the payments. Now bank is reporting to my credit late/not paid on mortgage. If they changed the terms of the loan without my involvement can it still be on my credit?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 27, 2019

Unless you and your ex actually changed the deed to reflect what happened in your divorce the house is still in both of your names, and nothing has changed as far as the bank is concerned. That also means when the lender reports late payments to the credit organizations they are probably reporting... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Probate for Texas on






Ben F Meek III answered on Feb 21, 2019

This is a fact intensive issue that will turn on the evidence you can gather to show that her intent was to name you as TOD beneficiary. Gather every document that has to do with their dealings with USAA, their financial advisor, banks, brokerages, etc., and anyone else in the chain of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Tax Law for Texas on

Q: Do minors need to pay income tax?

I am a full-time student in high school. I've recently submitted some music to a music licensing company, and I am in the process of working out a contract with them. I am under the age of 16, and I believe I am claimed as a dependent on my parent's tax returns. According to the sample contract,... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Feb 19, 2019

Yes, if you have $400 or more of self-employment income you'll need to file a 1040.

How much income you have will determine whether your parents can still claim you as a dependant.

There is a difference between royalties from music and Self-employed Independent contractor income...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on

Q: How do I get defense from electronic harrasment from organized criminals using electromagnetism

Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jan 28, 2019

A "Faraday cage" can shield against unwanted electromagnetic intrusion but that is a discussion for a science and physics forum.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: My question is my ex-business partner and I before our business got going good we opened a mutual personal bank acct.

At my bank I had two personal active bank accts one in just my name, and one in my name and my mothers name After my bus. partner and I opened our acct. he started helping himself to my two personal bank accts He made telephone transfers 20K worth. Drawing money out of my personal accts. and... Read more »

Daniel John Christensen answered on Jan 15, 2019

I am so sorry to hear about this happening to you. While this is not the type of law we practice, I would encourage you to contact the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service and ask for a business litigation attorney. Good luck.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Divorce for Texas on

Q: is There any type of legal document or court order to make my wife or Chase Bank transfer house money to my account

My wife and I recently sold our FW house. Because of my credit, my name was not on house purchase. Tax’s, anything. When we sold realtor had me sign and initial all selling paperwork, knowing I wasn’t even list on home.

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Jan 12, 2019

I’ll assume the home was purchased after marriage. In that case it is community property regardless of whether your name is on the loan. If you are now pursuing a divorce you can ask that these funds not be used until everything is sorted out. Let us know if you need our help. 888/343-4529 or... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Texas on

Q: A district attorney sent my bank a legal order for my bank records. What should I do?

I called my back and they will o my mail me the letter. I’m worried because I have never experienced this. Can I call the attorneys office to find out what is going on?

Grant St Julian III answered on Jul 30, 2018

If a DA is requesting your bank records, you MAY be facing HUGE issues. Call a local attorney ASAP

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Probate for Texas on

Q: Re: Power of Attorney for a parent. My mother had accounts/investments with a local bank. Some of the accounts had

all of the children's name on the account. Can the individual with the power of attorney go in and close those accounts or remove the money WITHOUT the signatures of the other children?

Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Apr 23, 2018

It depends on whether the accounts were convenience accounts (children's signatures for the mother's convenience only but all her money), pay-on-death accounts (pay on death to the children but all the mother's money) or joint accounts (jointly owned by the people named, whether or not joint with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law and Real Estate Law for Texas on

Q: I am using cryptocurrency investment profit for closing costs. They dont accept it.

I have an account with a government regulated US company for cryptocurrency investments (Coinbase Inc.) and the lender do not want to take my money to cover the closing costs because they do not understand what cryptocurrency is. Is this possible and legal?

Benton R Patterson III answered on Apr 20, 2018

In Texas, businesses do not have to accept cryptocurrency as payment. Your best bet is probably to sell the cryptocurrency for US dollars and transfer the money to a standard bank account.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Texas on

Q: My friend and I want to open a join business account. We will be opening it with a DBA but I'm concerned about banking

My credit union says that no institution has the option to restrict withdrawals from a joint account unless both parties sign for the withdrawals. However, a contract I've created gives such an option. How valid is a notarized contract in this case if institutions do not offer mandatory signatures... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III answered on Apr 20, 2018

Generally, a contract is only binding on the parties who sign the contract. If the bank is not a party to the contract, it does not have to follow it. You and your business partner can contractually agree to limit the money each of you can withdraw from the account. However, you would not be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Probate for Texas on

Q: Are State Department US Consular Reports of A Death of an American Abroad considered legal death certificates?

We had a family member pass away recently in Mexico. I will be receiving copies of the US Consular Reports of Death of an American Abroad in about 2-3 weeks. I understand this can be used an a death certificate for legal proceedings or for dealing with banks when transferring accounts to those... Read more »

Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Jan 13, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Estate Planning for Texas on

Q: In a trust, that states "trustee may consider other income but not her capital resources". Is a distribution capital?

I'm unsure of the definition of Capital resource in this text.

Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Dec 13, 2017

One would have to examine the trust instrument to make sure but usually "capital" refers to "principal" as opposed to "interest" or "assets" as opposed to

"income." If the beneficiary is receiving a distribution from another trust, that is income.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Family Law and Social Security for Texas on

Q: In a joint bank account, does a spouse have legal rights to utilize SSDI Representative Payee benefits? Why or why not?

*Per> payee> Guide For Organizational Payees> The Role of a Representative Payee, "Being an authorized representative, having power of attorney, or a joint bank account with the beneficiary is not the same as being a payee. These arrangements do not give legal authority to negotiate and... Read more »

Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Oct 31, 2017

Your question is answered in the law you listed above. Contact SS for further information if still unsure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.