San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: W/ only 4mos of child support left, can my husband directly pay his 17yo daught. if ex isn’t prov. safe living/food?

My husband’s daught. is 17. Her mother(his ex) recently divorced again. It’s obvious she is depressed; she has down ward spriraled and now has stopped cleaning and buying food for the house. Molded and filthy clothing and wet towels are in her rented home, and the toilet and shower has been backed up with sewage for at least a week. The house is so bad, she won’t call the landlord to fix it because she knows he will see how wrecked it is. My stepdaughter is suffering from the environment. Anxiety wise and physically. My husband wants to send the ch. supp. direct to his daughter. Divorce happened in Tennessee. With only 4mos. left, what are the ramifications? Should we call CPS? Should my husband drive to FL and try to confront? We live in TX. There is a son(9yo) from her second failed marriage living in this squalor as well...not sure what to do or who to call, but nothing is washed clothing wise, everything is filthy and has been for a while, and she isn’t providing food.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, call CPS.

Generally, child support is payable to the custodial parent, not the child. So if he pays the child directly it probably won't count. But to be sure, post your question at Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Tennessee › Family Law ›.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.