Mendota, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: I filed for divorce in Crawford county, AR, but fled my husband to IL. How do I transfer to here?

My husband and I lived in the same town, but I no longer know where he is. When conversing with an attorney with Crisis Center, she advised that I would have to "transfer" my case to the state I moved to, if it wasn't finalized. I haven't been able to reach her since. Dismissal wasn't spoken of, but that would be better for me, as I have limited income and fled after abuse and "stalking" including showing up in my neighborhood (quite far from where he lived) as well as "hacking" into social and email accounts. He threatened to kill me and sexually and physically assaulted me, so I couldn't go out of my apartment without panicking, especially when he would "drive by" on his mc or car. I still freak out when I see a car just the same color and style, 600 miles away. So, I have no desire to go return, even though my daughters and brothers are still there. I'm doing my best to do what I need to, but am looking for an attorney that's affordable, but that takes time. I fear him finding me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You could dismiss your case in AR, and then refile in IL. However, doing so could be a problem because the IL court probably doesn't have jurisdiction of your husband's person (based on the scant facts you have provided). You might have to go back to AR for your court appearances, and get divorced there. You really have to explain all of your facts to a divorce lawyer in person to get an accurate answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.