Arlington, VA asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: I'm requesting referral to appropriate lawyer based on type of case.

I received a weight loss/fat reduction service from a fitness center in VA. This required creation of a record of treatments that included PII and photographs of me in underwear ("before and afters") and showing my face. An employee providing me this service was terminated, and took with her my entire record and photos. The business simply started another record after I noticed that my file was thin, and a new employee did not know any of my previous info; they just started a new record. I pressed the issue and was reluctantly informed by the Manager that previous employee was fired and took records with her. I have never to date received any formal notification of data privacy breach, nor any communications regarding disposition of my records. I was offered additional treatments at no charge, which I took, but no breach outcomes. I was told that the terminated employee was facing legal actions, but again, no info on disposition of my record data. I have other service issues.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Contact the Commonwealth Attorney for the jurisdiction in which the business is located and make a formal complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.