Norman, OK asked in Domestic Violence for Oklahoma

Q: Can a deferred sentence be reduced over time?

My husband has a 7 year deferred sentence. He has done one year so far. He has all his fees paid off and only has 3 more classes left that we're court ordered. I was just wondering if it was possible to get his sentence reduced anytime.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There is a method of reviewing his sentence but can only be accomplished with the consent of the District Attorney at this point. It would take hiring a good criminal defense attorney who could possibly get the DA to agree. At that point the attorney could file the paperwork to get the case back in front of the sentencing Judge. The Judge must agree also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.