Mansfield, OH asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Ohio

Q: 62 y old, prescribed very high doses of 2 strong opioid medications for over 7y. MD gave 60 days to stop. I need help.

For past 2y, I have decreased dosage myself, and aware just stopping could kill me. MD aware but states he can't force others to take over pain control and has left it up to me. 100s of phone calls and as many rejections later,my time is running out quickly. I've even tried and been rejected for medical detox. Prescribing MD is not "pain" specialist but has prescribed massive dosages for many years. Can I make this clinic help safely get me off these drugs? Where can I get help? Please advice me of what I can do. The Ohio Medicaid Hotline advised me to get a Ombudsmen or Leeazon? (Someone to speak for me and advise) I have a LSW through AreaAgencyonAging, but she says she isn't qualified. I know I have organ damage from all these years of Opiates. I also know I can not safely do this on my own. PLEASE advise.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: First you can't force a doctor to treat you. Suggest you look for a clinic and see if there is a health advisor who can tell you about the resources you have. My understanding--and I am not a doctor--is that you will not die. You may have a number of issues but death is not necessarily one of these. If you are a veteran, see if the VA hospital can help you. Then contact a member of the Ohio Assn for Justice who handles elder care issues. Your's may not be eldercare, but the issues you have are most like those of eldercare.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.