Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Personal Injury Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: An employee has an injury at his work place, how does he start the claim for the compensation?

Timur Akpinar answered on Jul 18, 2019

One option you have is to contact a workers' compensation attorney in Ohio. The process involves strict deadlines and can be complex. You could also repost your question in the Workers' Comp category (it is posted under Personal Injury), where some very experienced WC attorneys on this board are... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: What can I do about children climbing my fence to enter my back yard of my home within the city limits?

I have a back yard camera and an additional privacy fence around the back deck with a hot tub spa filled with water.

Joseph Jaap answered on Apr 17, 2019

You could ask them not to do that. Or you could talk to their parents or call the police and file a report. But depending on the age of the kids, they might retaliate in some way.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Ohio on

Q: I want to know if something is medically eithical or right or malpractice

I’ve been seeing a doctor for at least 12 years due to back, neck, hips, knee pain. I’ve had major back surgery in 2009....rod plus screws. I’ve had my thumb fused. This doctor put me on 3 neurontin a day when I first saw him, and 4 Vicodin’s a day also. Eventually the neurontin went up to... Read more »

Mr. Eugene Ray Critchett Esq answered on Apr 12, 2019

If you have concerns about the sudden changes, try seeing another pain management specialist for a second opinion. However, it certainly is a new trend to decrease the use of pain medications.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: hello, i just had a question about suing someone/a company who said and put all over social media that i won $20k

and i had won $20,000 but they haven’t followed through with it and won’t answer me about it. can i sue them? i have proof they said that i won. it’s been 4 years

Mr. Eugene Ray Critchett Esq answered on Apr 12, 2019

If it is not on-line now, I would probably move on. Litigating the issue may cost you more than $20,000.00.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Ohio on

Q: In OH, If I co-sign for my 19yr sons auto loan, n he holds full coverage ins., will I be held responsible for accidents?

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 20, 2019

If you co-sign a loan, you’re in the hook for the loan, not any accidents he may get into with the car he buys with the loan proceeds. If the car is titled to you, you need to make sure there is insurance on the car. If it’s titled to him, that’s his problem. If you are driving the car when... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Ohio on

Q: lawyer to sue my ex for the mental distress mental disturbance emotional harm mental anguish mental suffering ect

Mental suffering he used abusive and insulting language assult and battery he torched my arm while i was sleeping has beat me many times he has went to jail he sufficates me with hands or pillow he pours liquids on me of all sorts i am in intensive counciling and i have problems with back head and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 4, 2019

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. You have a case but.....the problem is that homeowners won't cover intentional acts, and if there is no insurance unless he's worth a lot of money you will get a piece of paper saying you are entitled to money--but he won't be able to pay it. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: 62 y old, prescribed very high doses of 2 strong opioid medications for over 7y. MD gave 60 days to stop. I need help.

For past 2y, I have decreased dosage myself, and aware just stopping could kill me. MD aware but states he can't force others to take over pain control and has left it up to me. 100s of phone calls and as many rejections later,my time is running out quickly. I've even tried and been rejected for... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 23, 2019

First you can't force a doctor to treat you. Suggest you look for a clinic and see if there is a health advisor who can tell you about the resources you have. My understanding--and I am not a doctor--is that you will not die. You may have a number of issues but death is not necessarily one of... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Ohio on

Q: My mom went in for an outpatient bronchoscope biopsy, she ended up in ICU. I was told a main artery was cut

Then they tried to discharge her the next finding in an xrays they finally decided to take..she got like volcano pocket of blood near the site

Matthew Williams answered on Jan 13, 2019

You should sit down with a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Ohio on

Q: I got injured in a car accident in Ohio but I was visiting there from Kentucky. Do I still have to go through court

there or can I file in Lexington?

Dimitrios Makridis answered on Dec 27, 2018

Typically, a lawsuit is filed where the defendant (1) resides; (2) has a principal place of business; (3) conducted activity giving rise to the claim; or (4) where all or part of the claim took place (i.e. where the accident took place). However, a lawsuit can be filed where a plaintiff resides, IF... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: If an employee injuries me due to their own negligence, does that mean the employer is off the hook, liability-wise?

James J. Hux answered on Dec 11, 2018

You could potentially still file a claim for workers' compensation against your employer. You should speak with a workers' compensation attorney to see if you have a viable case.

Attorney James J. Hux

Hux Law Firm, LLC

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: How long does it take primary health net work take to pay once release is signed

Timur Akpinar answered on Dec 10, 2018

It can depend upon state law.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: Am I liable for an back injury to my dog sitter. While on a lead my dog jerked the sitter and the sitter hurt his back.

Matthew S Flemming answered on Dec 1, 2018

Depends on the facts. If you have homeowners or renters insurance, report it to them and allow them to determine whether or not you have any sort of exposure.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: What other money damages besides medical bills are available in a personal injury lawsuit? I was in a train crash where

it derailed.

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Nov 26, 2018

In serious accidents one can pursue several types of damages such as pain and suffering, mental and physical, lost wages and if permanently impaired wages to compensate for those. If PTSD and issue that should be addressed as well. We handle and negotiate claims nationwide. Feel free to contact... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: How long does it take to receive payment once case it settled and release forms are signed in federal tort case

Timur Akpinar answered on Nov 21, 2018

It could depend on whether there are outstanding liens that need to be satisfied.

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: How do you prove proximate cause in a multi-car accident?

Matthew Williams answered on Nov 5, 2018

Ah...that depends on how the accident occurred, which car you were in, which car(s) hit which, in what order, and what were they doing when they got hit.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Ohio on

Q: How do i look up a lawsuit case filed in Federal court?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 2, 2018

You would look it up by the name of the person or business bringing the case, which would be the easiest. If the defendant is a large corporation or the government, there could be thousands of cases. You can try online but best bet would be to stop in at the clerks office.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Ohio on

Q: I never received one phone call form my attorney without me initiating it in an appointment. He hurt my case badly

He sided with the defense several times. Never contacted Drs. or anyone else could help my case

Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 12, 2018

If your case is concluded then you may have a malpractice case and should seek an attorney who handleslegal malpractice.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Ohio on

Q: After a state court judgment on a federal 1983 claim can you move complaint to a federal court?

I stupidly filed a section 1983 federal claim in an Ohio state court against persons employed by the state of Ohio. After receiving what can only be described as prejudicial treatment throughout and having appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court who denied jurisdiction I wish to take the claim to the... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 9, 2018

It is called res judicata or perhaps collateral estoppel.

No two bites.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Ohio on

Q: I believe my son was wrongly jailed and his rights violated. As a result, they caused him to violate a condition

Of his probation which is job retention. They set him up to fali when he was on the cusp of getting enough saved up to finally get things in order. I can't afford a lawyer for him and would like his case reassigned to another judge. Our court system is so jacked up they let meth heads back on... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 1, 2018

By this time he should have had an attorney appointed.

You want the judge disqualifed, does he?

He should consult with his lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Ohio on

Q: My son was assualted by his best friend's girl friend with a beer bottle. She was charged with Felonious Assault,

As she nicked a artery causing major bleeding. He required staples in his skull and they had to stich his face from the inside out as the wound was deep and very long. He will not be able to afford all of the medical bills and has lost work. He is also having horrible flash backs and what I... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on May 29, 2018

As the victim of a crime, he is entitled to restitution for the damage done by the offender. You should get in touch with the prosecutor and provide him or her with proof of the costs. He could also file a civil lawsuit against her. But, a word of warning. Money doesn't magically appear because the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.