Chicago Heights, IL asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Illinois

Q: Good morning. My job was closed December 31st 2018 at Rush University Medical Center where I was employed for 10 years.

The contract I signed stated that I would receive severance and a retention bonus that was to be paid out this pay period. I have not received as promised and have my signed documents. What are my legal rights and options as not only was I laid off but my bills and well being are all affected by their mistake?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

James G. Ahlberg

  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It's hard to give you a solid answer without reviewing the documents you have. I encourage you to have your documents reviewed by a lawyer practicing in the field of employment law (not labor law, which deals with union-management issues, unless you were a union member) to assist you. Employment law covers pretty much everything employee related other than union-management situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.