Newton Center, MA asked in Employment Law for Massachusetts

Q: How restrictive is non-solicitation contract language as a marketing professional moving from full-time to independent?

I am leaving my company as a marketing manager after 6 years for personal reasons, but will continue on an independent contractor under my newly formed LLC for the next 6 months. The contract I'm reviewing has non-solicitation language that I want to make sure does not tie my hands beyond the six month term. It's as follows: Non-Solicit.

"(a) During the term of this Agreement and for a period of one (1) year thereafter, Contractor will not directly or indirectly:

(ii) solicit, divert or take away, or attempt to divert or to take away, the business or patronage of any of the clients, customers or accounts, or prospective clients, customers or accounts, of <COMPANY> which were contacted, solicited or served by Contractor while providing Services, including, without limitation, the third party entity for which the Services were performed."

Does this language prohibit me from providing independent contractor services for other companies in the same industry as the Company?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Employees cannot violate the Intellectual Property rights of the company, including using any company client lists in their own professional pursuits. As for limitations on the non-compete clause, that depends on the facts, e.g., when it was signed, consideration received in exchange, time/ geography limits, and other factors. See: More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.