Dallas, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: My sister forged my signature on property we inherited. I turned down an offer but check was in bank already. 2.2million

I agreed to selling but not at current offer. She knew this but signed my name an the check was in the bank 2 days before i found out. She will not show me the final paperwork that i wouldve signed. Called realtor asked him copies and he sent 4 pages 1 was blank an no names or numbers on the other3. I was told it sold for 2.2 million. I need advice on the rite attorney to hire or if i even need to bother with it.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Sorry for your issues.

It sounds as though your sister forged your name to an acceptance of an offer to sell and that an earnest money check was deposited. I say this because if your name is on the property (completed probate or trust) then you must sign before a notary public.

You should hire an attorney to review the situation. This is especially true if the contract was below market value.

If you don't want the deal, you should take steps now to prevent the sale from progressing.

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo

A: Since you alleged that your sister forged your signature which is a criminal offense you should contact the local Prosecutor’s Office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.