Whittier, CA asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Public Benefits for California

Q: Doctor punched my infected kidney & nurse gave me a shot in but cheek which paralyzed me for 3 days after hitting nerve.

This was at a urgent care. Is that medical malpractice and can I file a law suit with the info given?

2 Lawyer Answers

William John Light

  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is highly unlikely that you were "punched" by a doctor in the course of medical treatment, unless you were being uncooperative and a danger to yourself or others. If that actually happened, contact the Medical Board. http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Consumers/Complaints/

If your complaints of "punching" are sustained, a personal injury attorney might be interested in taking your case.

With regard to the shot in the cheek, if your paralysis has resolved, and if that condition was the result of malpractice (and not every negative result of treatment is malpractice), then your damages are insufficient to justify a malpractice case. If the paralysis is more permanent, then the case could be worth a closer look. Be prepared to come up with some money up front. Many medmal attorneys insist that the prospective client pay for, or contribute to, the initial review of records by an appropriate medical specialist.

Dale S. Gribow

  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed

you can always sue but the question is whether a lawyer would take your case and whether you would win.

there is a difference between malpractice and a bad result.

if there is no lingering damage and you feel strongly you can go to small claims to sue for up to $10k

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.