Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody, Civil Litigation, Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I got divorced in Cleveland Oh and i have shared Parenting. My Decree and shared parenting Plan are All in Cleveland

Courts. My X Was Aloud to move to Michigan and take our Kid. This was in 2011 Final. So If my X wants to File a Contempt on me, Where would she File? In Cleveland or Michigan? My Decree is in Cleveland All of the Shared Parenting Schedule and Rules Were Done in Cleveland Courts. So Wouldnt Cleveland be My Jurisdiction? Would a Michigan Court take on My Ohio Decree? Thank You

1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: She should have filed a change of address with the OH court which handled the divorce, and it would retain jurisdiction. She could file something in MI, but the MI court would likely say it belongs in OH court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.