Troup, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My 14 year old grandchild was abandoned 2 years ago by my ex daughter in law whom has custody of her.

No contact during that time. At all. Now she’s planning to go to my granddaughter school and withdraw her without my knowledge, she thinks, and take her. Do I have any rights

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If this is the case then you can petition the courts for custodial rights.

Victoria Collins

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may have rights based on the information you have given, however a face-to-face consultation with a family law attorney is always best in these situations. Parents usually have the right of access to the child in most situations, barring family violence or criminal history. However, more information is needed to assess your rights. This issue is time-sensitive so I would suggest contacting a local family law attorney ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.