Hillsdale, MI asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: My son has been charged with underage drinking domestic violence and assault. Littering. Is he looking at jail time.

He is out on a alcohol tether. His girlfriend don’t want to press charges he is home with her. There were witnesses. But the witness statement wasn’t what his girlfriend explained. The witness said he hit her in the back of the head while trying to pull him off of her

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Dimitrios Makridis

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Warren, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your son needs to hire a criminal defense attorney asap.

Matthew Williams

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, he is facing potential jail time. Underage drinking is generally charged as a first degree misdemeanor as are domestic violence and assault. First degree misdemeanors carry up to 180 days in jail. A domestic violence conviction carries serious secondary consequences. It can never be sealed or expunged, and you cannot possess a firearm for life. He needs a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.