Jupiter, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: In the US naturalization process, if one was outside US for over 1 year, does the 5 year clock starts from scratch?

We received our Green Cards on 9/16/2013. We plan to apply for US citizenship, but we were outside US between 8/1/2014 and 10/12/2016. During that time, we were in UK working in a big school. Before moving to UK, we filed for Re-entry permit, and received the travel documents. During that time, I came to US 4 times while my wife did not. Since October 12, 2016, we are in US. We both filed our tax forms and and have been actively looking for a job in the US during the time we were outside US.

1. Am I eligible to apply for US citizenship now? If not, when is the earliest I can apply?

2. Is my wife eligible to apply for US citizenship? If not, when can she apply?

3. When I was reading the online documents on US naturalization process, I am confused about the 'continuous residence' condition. Does that mean that because we were outside US over 1 year, the 5 year clock starts from scratch?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Barring your wife having submitted and received an approval of an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes (Form N-470), your wife would need to wait to apply for citizenship four years and one day after returning to the United States from her trip that lasted more than 1 year. The reentry permits may excuse your and your wife's absence of more than 1 year in terms of you not being accused of having abandoned your permanent resident status, but that does not prevent a break in continuity of residence, another requirement for naturalization. You, given that you may not have had a continuous 1 year absence, may possibly qualify sooner - assuming you meet other total physical presence time requirements. Even if you do not have a single absence of 1 year or longer, absences in excess of 6 months but less than 1 year create a rebuttable presumption that you have broken continuity of residence. I would recommend that you consult with a competent immigration attorney who can discuss the particulars of your case with you. At first glance, though, you seem to be in a better position than your wife.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.