Hot Springs, VA asked in Traffic Tickets and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: What are the concequences when a 15yr3mth old get caught and ticketed for driving without a license in VA?

A Va state trooper pulled him over for a broken tail light, then found out he was not old enought to even have a learners permit. He wrote him 4 tickets...driving without license, broken tail light, loud exhaust and no seatbelt.

How will this effect him getting his learners permit? Since he has never been in the DMV system, where do they file the tickets?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: His case will be in the juvenile and domestic relations court in the jurisdiction where he committed the offenses. The main one to be concerned with is the driving without a license because that's a misdemeanor. Many judges would continue the case to let him get his permit and consider dismissing with community service, etc. Whoever owns the vehicle should try to comply the loud exhaust and broken tail light to the extent they can. But continuing the case, if possible, for community service and trying to get a legal permit is probably the best option. Starting on community service now may be a good idea. Talk to a lawyer who regularly does JDR work in that jurisdiction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.