Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Would I have to pay c/s to my ex if our children live with me? I work full time- pay for everything & he refuses to work

My two children live with me. I work full time. I pay for the insurance and everything for them. He only has to pay $100 a month for child support. He refuses to work to avoid having to pay child support, he collects VA money for my child and doesn’t do anything for them. Now he’s trying to reverse the roles and have me pay him child support, when they live with me and I am the sole provider. Even though we have 50/50 custody. Is it possible that I may have to pay him child support?

1 Lawyer Answer

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You need to review your order and that controls as to who is responsible for child support. If there is a modification by the other party and you have been served with it then you should get an attorney to fight the modification. It is possible for either party to be ordered to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.