Chepachet, RI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: Can I move out of state for a job advancement with my 2 children if I have sole legal and physical custody?

I have sole legal and physical custody of my 2 children. Mother lives in the next state over 30 min away. We want to move south about 12 hours away. She has not made contact with me to see them in 9 months. There is no visitations set up at all as she skipped the last 2 court dates. I have had them living with me for 5 years now with her being in and out when she feels like it. She doesnt pay child support either even though I've filed with DHS over a year ago and they are still trying to "locate" her even though I've given them her exact address, cell #, car make and model, social number, birth date, family's addresses. Could I file for abandonment and terminate rights? I am in Ri. She lives in mass. Should I file in court for permission to move or just move and not tell her? Also in my court order does not specify that I need to tell her or file in court for permission to move.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Meet with your attorney to review the court orders in your particular case.

Also, you may consider retaining your private attorney to press for the child support you seek.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.