Brooklyn, NY asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for New York

Q: How do you get records that are sealed open & is it possible to file a suit against the NYPD & the city w/ a 25 y/o case

My mother was shot multiple times and killed by an off duty police officer (dirty copy) who was high on cocaine and in possession of it in 1993. The gun used and serial # are missing from the arrest report and his records were immediately sealed. He was sentenced to 25 years to life and is up for parole this year. My grandmother tried to sue the NYPD and the city but no one would take the case back then. I was almost 3 at the time, is there any way to pursue this suit? He took an oath and disgraced not only the nypd but the city and state of New York as well. He shot her in her hand, clipped her mouth and shot her 4 times as she was running away from him. I was in the courtroom when he was sentenced and I have been diagnosed with Chronic PTSD, Anxiety, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, and Persistent Depressiion with episodic MDD. Although this case is 25 years old and money wont bring my mother back, it has affected me my whole life and still does.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Time for you to bring a case would have been, with the most liberal ruling, when you turned 21. I don't see any way, but why not contact a member of the NY State Trial Lawyers who handles police misconduct cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.